tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 10:46:57 1999

Re: mu'mey Dajqu'

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:06:32 -0800 (PST) Jeremy Silver
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly ARE the puns for 'ul, 'awje' and
> >Haq (which,if I remember correctly are "electricity", "root beer", and
> >"perform surgery on", respectively)

Electrical devices in the U.S. all have a label on them for
something like "Underwriters Listing" or whatever. Meanwhile we
only see "U.L."

{'awje'} can be seen as {'a w je'} or "A and W", which is a
brand name of root beer.

{Haq} is Hack. Enough said.

> I think 'ul is related to something to do with electrical devices in
> America, I seem to recall it being mentioned in the the archive of this
> list somewhere.
>
> Haq, or Hack is fairly obvious when you think about it, just imagine
> them using an axe or batleth instead of the more usual scalpel. I
> believe General Martok had something to derogatory say about the general
> standard of medical personel in the Empire, cant recall the episode
> either "Soldiers of the Empire" or one with them in the Jem Hadar prison
> camp.
>
> Rgds,
> Jeremy Silver

charghwI' 'utlh