tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 08 22:27:04 1999

Re: parsing

>>... I just begin processing it while I hear
>>it. I don't wait for it all to come in before I start digesting
>>it.
>
>... Now, when I see or hear
>a simple phrase, I do something akin to comparing how well it
>fits with "sample templates" that have structures I recognize.

I first grab the major pieces, the object, verb, and subject root words.
Then if there's time, I check the suffixes to get a more precise meaning.
If time doesn't permit full analysis of the suffixes, many times context
lets me know how the OVS fit together in the conversation.

I guess I do the same for English.  Throw out the a's, the's, and (since I
started studying klingon) tenses, etc.  I listen for the SVO.

If the person isn't talking too fast then I grab the additional information
from the memory buffer and play around with that until I get another O, V, or S.

DloraH

Back to archive top level