tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 06 09:55:33 1999

Re: Placement of aspect suffixes

ja' peHruS:
>I do not believe that you would say that because the Klingon perfective
>TRANSLATES into English as present perfect that it IS the tense present
>perfect.

ghay'cha' -- pagh Daghojta'.  chIch mu'tlheghvetlh vIghItlh.  bIyajQo'.
pIchuH 'ej pIchuHqa' 'ej pIchuHqa'qu' 'ach yablIj lu'ellaHbe'ba' qech.
ghaytan not tlhIngan Hol pab Dayaj 'e' lu'ang mu'meylIj.  chojeyqa'ta'.

tlhIngan Hol Dalo'chugh, qabuS.  tlhIngan Hol Dalo'be'chugh, qabuSHa'.

Okay, that's it.  I give up.  We've gone over this time and time again,
and it has just completely failed to soak in.  Tense is not aspect, and
aspect is not tense.  There is nothing called "the tense present perfect"
in either Klingon or English.

The only reason I'm not putting [email protected] in my email "kill"
filter is so I can respond if you write anything in Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level