tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 02 15:53:59 1999

Re: KLBC: DaHjaj

'oghwI' asked:

I'll let the BG answer the grammar questions, but I can help with this.

: How many words are there that end with a vowel, but dont have a ' after them
: I found one or two in TKD.  tI, Do, Ro, cha, ya, He, jo, ta, po, 'a, ghu,
: je, Da & DI and from KGT gho & lu.

It turns out there are more than I thought:

	cha, Da, HaSta, lolSeHcha, mara, qItI'nga, ta, tlha'a, va, ya,
	'a, 'eDSeHcha, He, je, DI, tI, Do, gho, gho'Do, jo, po, qughDo,
	ro, ghu, Hu, lu, yu

(Did I miss one?)  Of these, one is an exclamation, and probably phonetic:

	va

and three are proper names:

	mara, qItI'nga, tlha'a

: 											  I'm sure I read somewhere that every word
: was not supposed to end with a vowel.  I can not remember where.  If there
: is a rule against this would these be "Left-Overs" from no' Hol?  I've
: probably remembered something incorrectly.

The names may well be {no' Hol} vestiges; proper names usually are in most
languages.  For example, my name "Steven" is not originally English - or,
rather, Anglo-Saxon - but from the New Testament Greek name *Stephanos*,
itself meaning "crown".  As for the Klngons, the {qItI'nga} D-7M cruiser
class is generally recognized as coming from klingonaase; according to John
Ford's FASA module on Klingon ships, *K't'inga* means "bringer of
destruction".

As for the others, who knows?  We've learned that Okrand intentionally
included a few exceptions to his general rules, so as to simulate a
"natural" language.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons