tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 02 12:06:02 1999

Re: RE: time

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:00:12 -0800 (PST) "Rose, Thornton
(Atlanta)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, can number forming elements be combined? Can I say either
> {cha'netlh} or {cha'maHvatlh} for "twenty thousand (20,000)"?

I would tend to avoid these alternatives until we get examples
to the contrary. We did get this kind of odd combination with
CK's explanation of time "twelve hundred hours", but that could
be a direct ripoff of military time from human languages. I
would not assume it carries over to other number terminology.

The number Americans call "one billion" is what the Brittish
call "A thousand million". Meanwhile, in America, the Brittish
term doesn't make any sense. So far as we know, {cha'maHvatlh}
would similarly not make any sense. So far as we know, the only
legitimate expression of that number would be {cha'netlh}.

> Would
> I say {meb wej'maHDIch} for "thirtieth (30th) guest"?

Yes.

> [...]
>
> > charghwI' 'utlh
> >
> ~ Thornton