tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 15:07:48 1999

Re: HosDo' - Energy Critters...

>> > DFTEC - "Don't Feed The Energy Creature"
>>
>> > a wise acronym from other SF communities, based on a favorite
>> > Klingon related Trek episode, "The Day of the Dove". The question of
>> > course is whether the energy is spent... or squandered...
>>
>> Adapting this to Klingon, we wind up with <HoSDo' yIje'Qo'>.
vIparHa'qu'bej.
>> Unfortunately, Klingon is not very good at acronyms. Oh well.

>(Hy!? *H*oSDo' *y*Ije'Qo')

How about this:

Represent the noun with its first letter (H), and just clip the command? I
think that saying <Hy> is a tad risky, because suffixes are so important in
Klingon. The shortened phrase (acronym) would be: <H je'Qo'>. Also, <je'>
and <j> are pronounced much alike, so the <je'> could be shortened even
more. Of course, if everyone knew what the "y" in <Hy> meant, then it would
be perfect, and that's how acronyms work in English anyway. I guess it all
boils down to how it is accepted in society.

--- loD Doq

***I don't know how to pronounce free-standing letters in Klingon, can it
be done?***

Back to archive top level