tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 24 19:06:11 1999

RE: Qa'Hom qaDHom (KLBC)

jIqaD. jIjatlh:
>While you are away at work, a Qa'Hom enters your kitchen through a small
>tunnel. What does he find? Describe.

jang Jeremy. jatlh:
> (Whats in the brackets is what I intended the
> above to mean)

DIvI' Hol mu'tlheghmey Dachelmo', ngeD Qu'wIj. maj.

> ngo'bogh Du' juH vutpa' 'e' 'el Qa'Hom
> (the Qa'Hom enters the old farmhouse kitchen)

What is the <'e'> doing here? The rest is good.

> bIQ maHpIn tlhej bIQ lInglaHbogh 'och tu'lu'
> there is a sink.

You have two main verbs here - <tlhej> and <tu'lu'>. I suspect you probably
meant <tlhejbogh> rather than just <tlhej>, which works OK. You could also
just join the two things - the sink basin and the faucet - with a
conjunction:

bIQ maHpIn, bIQ lInglaHbogh 'och je lutu'lu'.

I also like your description of a sink. <bIQ maHpIn> and <bIQ lInglaHbogh
'och> are not perfect, but they are very reasonable ways to describe a sink,
I think.

> naDev raSmey', polbogh pa'Hommey je tu'lu'
> (there are tables and cupboards here)

maj. The <tu'lu'> should strictly be <lutu'lu'>, though.

> ngop HIvje'mey, barghmey je pol wa' pa'Hom
> (one cupboard stores plates, drinking-vessels and pots)

pup. I would add a comma between <ngop> and <HIvje'mey>.

> naH tajmey, puq chonnaQmey, baghneQmey je pol pImbogh pa'Hom
> (another cupboard stores small knives, forks, spoons)

maj. <pImbogh pa'Hom> is fine, but <pa'Hom pIm> is better, and <latlh
pa'Hom> is better than that.

> /*now how to describe a Drawer? no word for slide/slip or
> pull/drag/draw/haul/tug... any ideas?*/

Perhaps Klingons do not distinguish between compartments with doors and
compartments which slide in and out. <pa'Hom> seems to work for both.

> QaDbogh Soj pol pImbogh pa'Hom
> (another stores dry food)

There are a lot of places where you use <-bogh> clauses when the same verb
could be used like an adjective. For example, <QaDbogh Soj> could just as
well be <Soj QaD>. There is nothing wrong with always using <-bogh> clauses,
but it sounds a little odd.

Except for that, this is also good.

> bIrbogh Soj pol pImbogh pa'Hom. chIS 'oH pa'Homvam
> (another stores cold food. this cupboard is white)

chaq nIv <bIrnIStaHbogh Soj>, qar'a'? 'ej jan 'oH pa'Homvam 'e' vIpIH.
bIrmoHwI' 'oH.

Also, the <'oH> in the last sentence doesn't belong there. <chIS pa'Homvam>
all by itself is fine.

> wa' raSDaq maHpIn tu'lu'.   naHmey ngaS maHpIn.
> (there is a large bowl on one table. the bowl
> contains fruit.)

maj. I don't know, though, if <naH> can take a plural. Just <naH> is
probably better.

> naHmey largh Qa'Hom. ghung Qa'Hom.
> (the Qa'Hom smells the fruits. the Qa'Hom is hungry)

toH. DaH qaS vay'. DojchoH lut. maj.

> botlh ravDaq tuq Saj tu'lu'. targh rur Saj
> (In the middle of the floor there is the pet
> of the family. The pet resembles a targ.)

<qorDu'> is better than <tuq> here, but otherwise this is good.

> DubDaq QottaH Saj. muDDaq bIHtaH 'oH 'uSDu'
> (the pet lies on its back. its legs are in the air)

buD Saj. juH 'avnIStaH. Qu'Daj buSHa'law'.

> Saj legh Qa'Hom
> (the Qa'Hom sees the pet)

maj.

> law' Saj Ho'Du' 'ej jej bIH
> (the pets teeth are numerous and sharp)

majQa'.

> ravDaq Saj nguj Sum je DI yIvpu'bogh' tu'lu'.
> (there is chewed litter on the floor near the pets mouth)

This doesn't quite work. <Sum> means "be near", and we know from a recent
HolQeD that the basic assumption is that whatever is <Sum> is near *the
speaker*. Fortunately, we have a very nice way to express the idea you want
here: the noun <retlh>:

ravDaq, Saj nguj retlhDaq, DI yIvpu'bogh tu'lu'.

> nom 'och chegh Qa'Hom
> (the Qa'Hom returns to the tunnel quickly)

vallaw' Qa'Hom. maj.

<chegh> is defined as "return", rather than "return to", so you probably
need to say <nom 'ochDaq chegh>.

Overall very nice. Keep practicing.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian