tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 20 09:05:27 1999

Re: new to list/help needed

malqa wrote:

: I am new to this list and have a question about proper format for
: giving my klingon name.  I always used
:   malqa tuq matoq
:   (my name) (house)(linename)

This translates as "Malka, House Matok", an appositive formula widely used
in fandom, but not by Okrand.  He prefers the possessive formula {malqa
matoq tuq} "Malka, House of Matok".  (Think of it as "Matok's House" and
you'll always get the word order right.)

: and lately added my father's name: ghera puqbe'

This part is correct: "daughter of Ghera".  Here are two extracts from
"Klingon for the Galactic Traveller" which you may find helpful WRT Klingon
patronyms:

  "It is always proper to call somebody by his or her name alone... During
formal
  occasions, it is also not uncommon to refer to someone by his or her
father's
  name, such as {mogh puqloD} (son of Mogh) or a combination of given name
plus
  father's name, such as {HuS 'atrom puqbe'} (Huss, daughter of A'trom)."
[p.197]

  "For example, in the ceremony to induct new members into the Order of the
  Bat'leth (betleH 'obe'), the highest honor that the government bestows on a
  Klingon, the presiding official, usually the leader of the Klingon High
Council,
  first reads a name from the naD tetlh (Commendation List), always calling
out
  the inductee's name in the most formal way (given name plus father's
name, such
  as {tI'vIS barot puqloD} [T'vis, son of Barot])."  [p.182]

: I had read somewhere that the format was then:
:   malqa tuq matoq ghera puqbe'

Wrong.  See above.

: but today in the archives I found a format that puts *tuq* at the
: very end such as
:   malqa ghera puqbe' matoq tuq

This version is the preferred style:  Malka, daughter of Ghera ("Ghera's
daughter"), House of Matok ("Matok's House").

: Which is correct for me to use
:   My name plus linename
:   malqa matoq tuq

Yes.  "Malka, House of Matok" - if you just need to identify just your House.

: My name ,linename and father's name
:   malqa ghera puqbe' matoq tuq

Again, this is the full formal pattern: "Malka, daughter of Ghera, House of
Matok" - your name, father's name, linename.  Notice how it proceeds from
specific (you) to more general (your father), then to the even more general
(you and your father's House).

Here is a post by Okrand to the old Expert Forum newsgroup on MSN which
goes into more detail on the etiquette of Klingon naming formulae: