tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 09 10:28:17 1999

Re: 'oy'DI' QuchwIj, jIQuch!

qa'ral:
>Any ideas as to the Klingon for *forehead butting*?  /qIp/ (hit with hand,
>fist, implement) would seem inapplicable.

Jeremy Silver:
: CK mentions butting heads, but I havent quite worked out exactly what was
: being said from the tape, the best I could come up with was the following
: dialogue segment (TT - terran tourist, KG - Klingon Guide):
: TT  What's happening over there?   pa'Daq qaStaHnuq.
: KG  Klingon warriors are butting heads.  qIp'egh nachDu'chaj
:     tlhInganSuvwI'pu'.
: Was I close?  Where is the canon master when you need him. ;)

You rang?  Here's the scene from my notes:

  TT What's happening over there?
     pa'Daq qaStaH nuq?

  KG Klingon warriors are butting heads.
     qIp'egh nachDu'chaj tlhIngan SuvwI'pu'.

  KG Everyone enjoys a mock battle.
     may' ngeb tIv Hoch.

  KG If we're lucky, one will get angry.
     maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'.

The reason Jeremy had trouble with this line was that the grammar was...
unusual.  Former BG SuStel commented on this list that:

  "This sentence really doesn't make much sense to me. I think it's
   supposed to be {qIp'egh tlhIngan SuvwI'pu' nachDu'}. However,
   perhaps Okrand has some weird sort of grammar in mind..."

Rather than second guess Okrand, I prefer to view this as an idiom and
leave it
at that.

Of course, the Terran's Klingon minder, or {nov DorwI'} "alien escort", might
have been a little drunk when this conversation occurred which may explain the
grammar. <g>)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons