tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 12:31:04 1999

Re: Love

I was not trying to imply that which you read in what I said.  {-be'} does
indeed negate an action.  {-Ha'} does indeed undo the action.  What I was
trying to point out was the misunderstanding that can occur through
TRANSLATION of the words.  Klingons have no problems with {par} and
{parHa'}, and we have no problems with "like" and "dislike," but a problem
may occur when translating from one language to another.

I'm not denying the possibility of a Klingon version of what ghunchu'wI'
pointed out: words like disheveled, unkempt, disgruntled, mistaken, and
decant.  Perhaps somewhere along the line there was a word {muSHa'} "love,"
and because the {-Ha'} was there Klingons decided to treat it as the
suffix, and so it became {muS} "detest" with {-Ha'} added.  This would
indicate a slightly different way of looking at the word.

Until we know more about the etymology of these words (or until we get
examples from Klingons), I suggest using the suffixes exactly as they are
presented in TKD: {-be'} "negate," {-Ha'} "undo/do wrongly."  Thus,
{muSHa'} is "undo hate" or "hate wrongly," whatever that means.  {parHa'}
is given to us as "like," but that is the current Klingon usage (something
we don't have for {muSHa'}), and we know that for THIS word, {par}, the
"undo like" or "like wrongly" definition means "like" to a Klingon.

It doesn't matter what it means to an English-speaker.  All that matters is
what it means to a Klingon.

SuStel

jatlh qa'ral:
My point (and I don't think you disagreed) is this: if /muSHa'/ is
translated as *love* in canon (is it?), and we know no other verb for
*love* in a verb-centered
language, could it be that /muSHa'/ does in fact mean *to love*? Perhaps,
when appended to certain verbs, /-Ha'/ and /-be'/ don't just undo or negate
the action but
transform it into its opposite. (This is what SuStel's recent explanation
of /parHa'/ implied to me.) Then /muSHa'/ could become as strong and
independent a word in
Klingon as, say, *independent* is in English.

Back to archive top level