tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 02 21:39:42 1999

Re: Aspect

ja' peHruS:
>...While TKD only
>uses the words aspect and perfective without further defining these terms,...

Open your eyes, man!  TKD *does* adequately define the terms "aspect" and
"perfective" as they relate to Klingon grammar.

TKD pages 40-41, Section 4.2.7. Type 7: Aspect

  ...The language does, however indicate aspect: whether an action is
  completed or not yet completed, and whether an action is a single
  event or a continuing one...

  ...{-pu'} "perfective"
  This suffix indicates that an action is completed...

Aspect is explicitly defined as expressing the completed or ongoing
nature of an action.  Perfective is explicitly defined as expressing
the completed nature of an action.

>I still suggest you read books about aspect written by experts in this
>field.

There are no books written by experts in the field of Klingon grammar except
for Okrand's works (and Captain Krankor's _The Grammarian's Desk_, which I
consider to be commentary instead of absolute authority).

>I am not saying Okrand is not an expert linguist with perfect knowledge of
>what Aspect is and how to use it, he merely has not given explanations that
>these books do.

Okrand is an expert in what aspect is and how to use it in Klingon.  Of that
there should be no doubt.  He explains aspect and perfective in The Klingon
Dictionary.  It's right there on the pages I quoted above.

You are probably quite correct when you say Okrand hasn't given explanations
that these books do.  And that is quite as it should be, since "these books"
ARE NOT EXPLAINING WHAT ASPECT IS AND HOW TO USE IT IN KLINGON.  If you want
to know what aspect is and how to use it in Klingon, read TKD.  And then use
the aspect suffixes the way TKD says to use them.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level