tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 17:28:33 1999

RE: Hop and Sum

I didn't answer this before I left, and I don't know if HovqIj got to it or
not, so I am answering now.

jatlh T'Lod:

> I must have missed the discussion on this topic, but am I
> correct in using the words Hop and Sum in this manner?

> DujDaq Hop SuvwI' - The warrior is far from the ship.
> raSDaq Sum quS - The chair is near the table.

> Or am I in need of a slight grammar tweak?

<Hop> and <Sum> are discussed in the recent HolQeD interview with Marc
Okrand. The most common way to use these words is to simply say something
like <Hop SuvwI'> - "The warrior is far away", and the point of reference is
understood to be the location of the speaker. It is also possible to use a
locative, as you did, to change the point of reference. So your sentences
are fine.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ