tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 26 10:51:15 1999

Re: juppu' vInej

jatlh Ed:

>Sengmey ghaj ghoghwI' jan,
>My sound device has troubles.

{-wI'} is for persons. You need {-wIj}, and it goes on {jan}. {ghogh janwIj}
is literally "my voice device". {ghoghwIj jan} would be "device of my voice"
What exactly do you mean by "sound device"? A microphone? A sound card?
Maybe you want to use {wab} instead of {ghogh}. Instead of {Sengmey ghaj}
consider saying {Seng} or {qay'}, in a more verb centric style.

> ghogh jonQo' HablI','ach QoQ reHlaH 'oH.
> The mike refuses to capture sound, but it
>can play music.

Do you mean the microphone can play music??? I guess you mean your sound
device. The best would be to simply repeat the noun . I'm not sure whether
you can say {reH} in context with playing music. Maybe you can use {chu'}.
{...'ach QoQ tamey chu'laH wab jan}

>mISbogh pat vIQub Seng.
>The trouble I think, is that the system is confused.

You just said: "I think the system that is confused; it causes trouble."
You cannot just throw in {vIQub} in the middle of the sentence. In your
Enlish sentence it's a parenthesis. Klingon doesn't allow you to do this. I
think you mixed up relative clause and sentence-as-object construcion here.
They both use "that" in the English sentence, but they are two totally
different things. You need to rephrase this, anyway. A sentence as the
object of a "to be" construction is at least ugly, if not wrong. You can use
the suffix {-law'} instead of {'e' vIQub}. It's shorter and smoother.
{Senglaw' pat mIS'e'} - "The _confused system_ seems to cause the trouble."
is one way of recasting. Also translate the following possibilities:
Because the system is confused, it seems to cause the trouble.
Because of a confusion, the system seems to cause the troube.

>jan poQbogh law'qu' ghunghachmey.
>  Too meny programs demand the device.

{-ghach} on a bare verb stem is marked usage. You should try to avoid
{-ghach} wherever possible. The cases where you really need it are very,
very rare. You can avoid any problems if you talk about the tasks the device
has to accomplish.You don't need a {-bogh} here. It's a simple O-V-S
sentence. Also remember that adjectives go behind the noun they describe.
{law'qu'} doesn't mean "too many", but "very many". You need to find an
alternative to translate that idea. Translate:
The device has to accomplish very many tasks. They cause the system to
collapse.

> tugh latlh jISuq jan pImbogh,
>Soon I aquire anouther one which is
>differnt device.

Even your English doesn't make sense here. Klingon is not a code, it's a
language. Even if you translate Klingon texts literally, the result won't be
just gibberish. It'll sound strange, but will still be correct English. You
seem to have trouble with adjectives. They go behind the noun they describe,
without any {-bogh} suffixes. You either get another device or a different
device, but not another different device. If you want to buy another
different device, you must have already bought at least one different
device. And watch your word order: It's O-V-S! Translate:
Soon I'll get a different device.

>vaj SoH jIjatlhlaH.
>So then I can speak to you.

Almost. "to you" can't be the direct object of {jatlh}. Add a simple {-vaD}
and you'll get what you want: tugh SoHvaD jIjatlhlaH.

HovqIj
--temporary BG

Back to archive top level