tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 24 09:21:12 1999

Re: -moH (was Re: jIDach)

jatlh QInteS:

>K'ryntes wrote and wrote and wrote:
>
>> K'ryntes wrote:
>>
>> > I saw a post on the newsgroup regarding something like this.  Is
{mISmoH} a
>> > root verb?  I thought it was.  Which is why my suffixes appear in the
order
>> > they do.  I wanted to say something that would roughly translate as "I
>> > unconfused myself".  I "thought" I was only using two suffixes, a rover
which
>> > always follows the verb, and {-'egh} which would follow the rover.
>
>Wrote some more:
>

>> I posted this question to the newsgroup.  Hopefully, MO will be by again
soon and
>> clarify whether these verbs are either actual verbs or verbs+suffixes.
But until
>> we hear from him, I don't see any use in debating either side.
>
>And wrote yet again, taking "talking to myself" to a new level:I know
better than to
>make statements like that.  Sorry.  I shouldn't assume that this question
hasn't
>already been asked and clarified a thousand times.I just found a canon
example of a
>{-moH} verb that doesn't use the {verb + moH} as a root verb.
>
>chenHa'moHlaH
>
>That's two revelations for me today!  Do we know for sure that they aren't
roots?  Or
>is that something still up in the air? Are all {-moH} verbs not really
verbs but
>just verbs + suffixes?  Or does it depend on the verb?  Oh, I should have
went to
>qep'a'.  I could kick myself.

We don't know for sure for all of these verbs. I recently had a similar
problem with {HeghmoH}. The one word we  know for sure it's a root verb is
{lo'laH}. Others, like {ghojmoH} or {chenmoH}, are just there for the
English speaker who wants to find the Klingon words for "teach" or "make".
As for {mISmoH}, I strongly suspect this is also just {mIS} + {-moH} "cause
s.o. to be confused" = "confuse s.o."

>QInteS, jImISqa'

HovqIj
-- temporary BG