tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 20 05:05:15 1999

Re: [chegh] and new word [tatlh] (from Marc)

ja'pu' ter'eS:
>{nobHa'} to me implies handing back to a person something that
>person previously gave you; {tatlh} implies putting back in
>its original location something that you removed on your own.

ja' SuSvaj:
>In the case of the library book, however, one is returning something given
>by the library.

It's a matter of perspective.  I tend to think of borrowing a book as
something *I* do.  The library is rather passive in its lending.  And
it certainly expects the book back!  {tlhap} and {nobHa'} seem to have
a somewhat different flavor from the ideas of {ngIp} and {tatlh} in my
mind.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level