tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 19 21:16:05 1999

Re: [chegh] and new word [tatlh] (from Marc)

Okrand wrote:
>> A different verb, {tatlh}, is used for "return" in the sense of
>> returning a library book or returning a weapon to the weapons rack.

SuSvaj:
>If so, then what is the distinction between *tatlh* and *nobHa'*?

ter'eS:
: {nobHa'} to me implies handing back to a person something that
: person previously gave you; {tatlh} implies putting back in
: its original location something that you removed on your own.

That seems about right to me, though I'd imagine that the difference in
usage is largely idiomatic.

Okrand's two examples of {tatlh}:

  raSDaq jengva' vItatlh
  I return the plate to the table

  pa'Daq jItatlh'egh
  I return [myself] to the room

We have just one example of {nobHa'} "give back, return" in KGT:

  Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
  Don't trust Ferengi who give back money.

(Here {Huch nobHa'} could also be translated more colloquially as "give
refunds".)

As always, more examples would be nice.

--
Voragh