tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 09 06:57:36 1999

Re: pab chu'

I'm going to try to beat voragh to the punch. {{:)> I just
happen to have an available copy of Okrand's post on how to
express what time it is:

What time is it?

Actually, there are several ways to ask "What time is it?" in
Klingon.  Here are a couple.

In dealing with time in interplanetary communication, Klingons
have come to use the 24-hour system favored by the Federation.
There are 24 hours in a day (meaning 24 Earth hours in an Earth
day), numbered one through 24.  For example:

    tera' rep wa'
    "Earth hour one" or "one o'clock"     (<tera'> "Earth,"
<rep> "hour," <wa'> "one")

    tera' rep cha'maH
    "Earth hour 20" or "20 o'clock" or "eight o'clock p.m."
    (<cha'maH> "20")

    tera' rep loS wejmaH
    "Earth hour 4:30"
    (<loS> "four," <wejmaH> "30")

If the context is clear, the word <tera'> "Earth" may be left
out:

    rep cha'maH  "20 o'clock, eight o'clock p.m."

When working within this system, one doesn't inquire as to the
time; one demands that the number of the current hour be
specified.  Thus, the equivalent expression to "What time is
it?" is a command:

    rep yIper!  "Ascertain the hour! Specify the hour!"

This is literally "Label the hour!" (<rep> "hour"; <yIper>
"label [it]!," consisting of the imperative prefix <yI-> plus
<per> "label").  Though the verb <per> "label" is usually used
in the sense of "attach or assign a name to," it can also be
used for such notions as  "ascertain, specify, pin down."  This
is not considered slang or idiomatic.

When giving the time using this system, hours are numbered, not
counted.  That is, one says <rep cha'> "hour two, hour number
two, two o'clock," not <cha' rep> or <cha' repmey> "two hours"
(<rep> "hour," <repmey> "hours"; a plural suffix, here <-mey>,
is not needed when a number modifies a noun, but it is sometimes
used anyway).  Accordingly, it is not customary to ask for the
time by saying <rep tItogh> or <repmey tItogh> "Count the
hours!" (<tItogh> "count them!" made up of <tI->, the imperative
prefix used for plural objects, plus <togh> "count").

In nonmilitary contexts (as rare as these may be) and in
situations where interplanetary communication is not a concern,
the most common way of asking "What time is it?" in Klingon is
quite different. It is based on the way the question was asked
long ago, in a time before Klingons traveled around the galaxy
and before there was any significant amount of interaction
between Klingons and residents of other planets:

    'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

This is literally "How many times has (someone) heard (it)?" or
"How many times has it been heard?"  (<'arlogh> "how many
times?" a word that functions adverbially, made up of the
question word <'ar> "how much? how many?" and the special number
suffix <-logh> "times" [as in "six times"]; <Qoylu'pu'> "someone
has heard (it)," made up of <Qoy> "hear," <-lu'> "indefinite
subject," <-pu'> "perfective," that is, the action has been
completed).

What is not clear from this locution is what it is that has
supposedly been heard.  In modern Klingon, the "what" in this
phrase is never expressed.

It appears as though, long ago, at least some Klingons were
notified of the time by some audible signal (though what means
were used to calculate the time in the first place remain to be
discovered).  Perhaps this signal was a specific sound (a person
shouting? a beat on a drum? a gong? the growl of an animal?) and
that word was originally part of the expression, for example,
<'arlogh bey Qoylu'pu'?> "How many times has someone heard the
howl? How many times has the howl been heard?" (<bey> "wail,
howl"). Or maybe the expression contained a more general word
such as <ghum> "alarm" or <wab> "sound, noise": <'arlogh wab
Qoylu'pu'?> "How many times has someone heard the sound? How
many times has the sound been heard?"

It has also been speculated that there was once a bit more to
this expression, namely an element stating the time period the
questioner was concerned about.  For example, maybe people said:

    DaHjaj 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

That is, "Today, how many times has someone heard it?" (<DaHjaj>
"today"), suggesting that the questioner is concerned about how
much time has gone by "today" (as opposed to, say, "this week").

Or maybe the fuller expression was a little less specific:

    qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

"Recently, how many times has someone heard it?" (<qen>
"recently, a short time ago").

Regardless of its original full form, the expression comes down
to us now as simply <'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?>.  The phrase is
considered an idiom because what it means ("What time is it?")
cannot be understood on the basis of the meanings of its
components ("How many times has someone heard it?").

The answer to the question <'arlogh> "How many times?" is, as
might be expected, <X-logh>, where X is some number. For example:

    cha'logh Qoylu'pu'.

This is literally "Someone has heard it twice" or "It has been
heard twice" (<cha'logh> "twice," from <cha'> "two" plus <-logh>
"times").  This is the Klingon equivalent to "It's two o'clock."
Originally, this was a statement of time in the traditional
Klingon system, but it is now also used for the 24-hour system.
The idiomatic <'arlogh Qoylu'pu'> also shows up in such questions as "What time do we leave?":

    mamejDI' 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

This is literally "When we leave, how many times will someone
have heard (it)?" or "When we leave, how many times will it have
been heard?" (<mamejDI'> "when we leave," made up of <ma-> "we,"
<mej> "leave, depart," <-DI'> "when").

An answer might be "We (will) leave at eight o'clock:

    mamejDI' chorghlogh Qoylu'pu'

Literally, "When we leave, someone will have heard (it) eight
times" (<chorghlogh> "eight times," from <chorgh> "eight" plus
<-logh> "times").

Since subordinate clauses such as <mamejDI'> "when we leave" can
come before or after the main clause, it's also possible to say:

    'arlogh Qoylu'pu' mamejDI'?
    chorghlogh Qoylu'pu' mamejDI'.

Literally, "How many times will someone have heard (it) when we
leave?  Someone will have heard (it) eight times when we leave."

In actual conversation, of course, it's usually not so
repetitive.  You'd probably hear:

    'arlogh Qoylu'pu' mamejDI'?
    chorghlogh Qoylu'pu'.

"How many times will someone have heard (it) when we leave?
Someone will have heard (it) eight times."

Or even:

    'arlogh Qoylu'pu' mamejDI'?
    chorghlogh.

"How many times will someone have heard (it) when we leave?
Eight times."

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:32:34 -0400 Jeremy Silver
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Terrence Donnelly wrote:
> > SKI: I recently posted some new pages to my Website containing a listing
> > of all the grammar addenda and corrections post-TKD that I could find.
> > You may find it interesting.  Let me know if I said something wrong or
> > forgot your favorite bit.
> >

> I may be missing something - I am only a beginner after all.
>
> Under:
> Appendix: A Selected List of Useful Klingon Expressions
> -
> 1.Telling time:
> -
> You answer with a time label: rep wej "three A.M.";
>
> CK list the time format as:
> "Six Hundred Hours, or Six O'clock in the morning is: Six, jav, plus
> hundred, vatlh, plus rep.
> Altogether its   javvalth rep."
>
> Which is more correct/canon?
> Shouldnt both be listed?
>
> Regards,
> --
>    Jeremy Silver   |\   [email protected]
>  __________________| \  [email protected]
>                    |  | A1200, Blizzard 1260, 34Mb
>  mupwI' yI'uchtaH! |__| 1.4Gb HD. Amiga Forever.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level