tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 02 23:02:50 1999

Re: jIchegh tulajchugh

peHruS:
>Does {jIngaj} mean "I'll be brief," or "I'll be short (as in using only short
>words)?"  I can't figure this one out, ghunchuwI'.  {ngaj} refers to "short
>duration of time," stative verb.  Thus, I have to think that you are
>attempting to take on the persona of time.  jImISqu.  yIQIj.

ghunchu'wI':
: qay' nuq?  Since you correctly understand the word {ngaj} as referring to
: time, I assume you would understand {jIngaj} as "I'll be brief" instead of
: "I'll be short (in physical distance)."  Thus I really have no idea what is
: confusing you, and I have no idea what you want me to explain.  Whatever it
: is that keeps us from communicating appears still to be in place.

I don't see the distinction either.  Are you a native English speaker,
peHruS?
"I'll be short" is not colloquial English, at least not in American usage.
For
the meaning he (she?) has in mind, the phrase is indeed "I'll be brief".

AFAIK Okrand has used {ngaj} "be short (in duration)" once:

  ngaj ram
  The night is short. KGT

Presumably {ngaj} works like its antonym {nI'} "be long, be lengthy
(duration)", which he's used more often:

  nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
  Our lives burn short and bright. (Anthem)
  [lit. "our lives are not long / our life is not long"]

Notice that here Okrand used {nI'}, which has been around since the 1st
edition
of TKD (1985).  {ngaj} is much more recent, first appearing in KGT (1997)

  yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
  Live long and prosper! (Radio Times)
  [lit. "suffer a long life"]

  poH nI'