tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 02 08:07:42 1999

Re: KLBC challenge

From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>

>> > Dat batlh 'oH 'ach DaSamnIS.
>> (assuming it was supposed to be <<Dat 'oH batlh'e'>>)
>Dat batlh tu'lu'.
>
>That is better than my "Everywhere, is honor" and your sentence
>which can be translated either as "Everywhere, honor is," or
>"Honor is everywhere," [LITERALLY, since that interpretation
>uses {Dat} as the direct object instead of the locative.]

Please forgive me if this has already been gone over to death (and ignore my
message if it has: I'm behind on the mailing list).

While I certainly agree that {Dat batlh tu'lu'} is the best sentence,
there's nothing wrong with {Dat 'oH batlh'e'}.  What's the grammatical
difference between that and, say, {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'}?  {Dat} is not a
direct object because (a) I'd hesitate to call a noun in front of any
pronoun an object of any kind (though pronouns do have subjects), and (b)
{Dat} never takes a Type 5 noun suffix anyway.

I have no problem with sentences like

meHDaq ghaHtaH HoD'e'.
pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH loDHom'e'.

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?