tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 01 09:33:36 1999

Re: KLBC challenge

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 02:07:44 -0400 Carleton Copeland
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' charghwI' 'utlh:
>
> I just thought that since you wanted to explain grammatical rules to me, I
> should explain a couple to you.
>

> reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'!  I'll *argue* with a /pabpo'/, but never presume to
> *explain* grammar (still less to an /'utlh/).  *pab qaQIjmoHmeH 'eb pup 'oH
> qaDlIj'e'* was supposed to mean: *Your challenge is a perfect opportunity
> to get you (I make you) to explain grammar*.  Where did I go wrong?

I think I made more of a mistake than you did. You used the
{qa-} prefix to indicate the Indirect Object. There is a
shortcut rule to allow you to do this, but it is uncommon to use
this with {-moH}. I don't think it has been done in canon,
though it is probably fine to do it. Meanwhile, if I'm sleep
deprived and I see {pab qaQIj...} I read it as "I explain
grammar to you". I suffered a stack overflow and failed to
process the suffixes. You were correct. It was my error.

HIvqa' veqlargh!

> qa'ral

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level