tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 28 05:17:49 1999

Re: Four Questions in Klingon

On 27 Jan 99, at 23:15, Joe Orzech (Exchange) wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm looking for the Klingon words to the passover song "Four Questions" aka
> "Ma Nishtana".  I need the English transliteration.  A few years ago I ran
> across this somewhere on the web.  It included an audio sung by the Klingon
> language creator.
> Does anybody have this song (the written version preferably)?
> Thanks,  Joe.

Not an officially sanctioned version, but here's what I delivered at a
friend's Seder last year:

--------------------snipped from old list mail---------------------------------
----The Four Questions (as delivered) ----

qatlh pIm ramvam’e’ Hoch rammey je ?

qaStaHvIS Hoch rammey tIr ror tIr rorbe’ joq wISop maH.
qatlh qaStaHvIS ramvam’e’ Hoch tIr rorbe’ neH wISop maH?

qaStaHvIS Hoch rammey Hoch naHmey DISop maH.
qatlh qaStaHvIS ramvam’e’ naHmey wIbqu’ DISop maH?

qaStaHvIS Hoch rammey naHmey DitlhorghmoHbe’ maH.
qatlh qaStaHvIS ramvam’e’ bIH vutmeH bIQ na’ <haroses> je DIlo’
mah?

qaStaHvIS Hoch rammey maSop ‘ej yupma’ le’ wImaqbe’ maH.
qatlh qaStaHvIS ramvam’e’ <Sedar> tayvam wIchoq maH?

Having now read Qov's commentary, I would have simplified the
time-references just as he indicates.  Also, he pointed out some
very good word choices that I  missed.  So, here's what I *would*
have used....

----The Four Questions (incorporating suggestions from Qov) ----

qatlh pIm ramvam’e’ Hoch rammey je ?

Hoch rammey tIr ror tIr rorbe’ joq wISop maH.
qatlh ramvam’e’ Hoch tIr rorbe’ neH wISop maH?

Hoch rammey Hoch naHmey DISop maH.
qatlh ramvam’e’ naHmey wIbqu’ DISop maH?

Hoch rammey naHmey DitlhorghmoHbe’ maH.
qatlh ramvam’e’ bIH DIvutmeH bIQ na’ <haroses> je DIlo’ mah?

Hoch rammey maSop ‘ej yupma’ le’ wImaqbe’ maH.
qatlh ramvam’e’ <Sedar> tayvam wIlop maH?

As delivered, it was well received.  There was some general
amusement at the  concept, until the host explained that he had
asked me to do this, not as a  joke, but as an extension of the idea
that this ceremony was being conducted  in every corner of the
world, in every language spoken on the planet.  The  exercise in
Klingon was to express the idea that the ideas and the ceremony
are what bind Jews together, not the words themselves.

I think he offered me (especially as I am not Jewish) a singular
honor, and I  thank him for it.  I also thank those on this list who
helped me do at least a  semi-creditable job.

'etlhqengwI'
(vuDmeywIjvaD jIngoy' jiH'e')

Back to archive top level