tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 09:25:42 1999

Re: Klingon in the News

ja' peHruS:
>You translated correctly back into English.  What do you not understand?

I didn't understand what "Rivals" was.  You didn't provide any clues
that it was the name of a play.  Lacking that crucial piece of context
made it exceedingly hard for me to follow *anything* you told us.

><< >DenverDaq "Rivals" (gholpu') luDa DawI'pu'
>Actors are acting "Rivals" (gholpu' in Klingon) in Denver.
>Comment:  lu- is necessary since the actors are plural and the play is
>singular, even though the name of the play refers to a plural entity.

Um...I don't think so.  Check TKD for the definition of {Da} -- and
make sure you actually check TKD and not your own compilation of word
meanings, since I've seen you give some rather unusual interpretations
of what things mean.  You've said "Actors are acting *like* rivals."
Try {much} instead -- I'd probably have understood that immediately,
and I might even have figured out why {lu-} was appropriate given the
context of people "presenting" something as opposed to "acting in the
manner of" it.

> >lumaqmeH "radio" lo' maqwI'
>
> mumISmoHchu' mu'tlheghvam.  maqwI' 'ar Daqel?  nuq maqlu'?
>
>A broadcaster uses the radio to proclaim it.
>maqwI' 'ar?  One broadcaster.
>nuq maqlu'?  The advertisement about the play "Rivals" is broadcast.

If it's one broadcaster, why did you say {lumaqmeH}?  You didn't give
any indication that there was an advertisement being broadcast; you
just said "In order that they proclaim it" without identifying what
"it" was.  I'm also very curious how you got from "broadcaster" to
{maqwI'} with any hope of having it understood.

> >maq ghaH ghopDap ghajbe' 'ej tlhInganpu' ghajbe'
>This is a quote: He broadcasts, "It (the play) does not have asteroid(s) nor
>does it have Klingons."

If it's a quote, please use something that lets the reader know that
it's a quote -- the word {jatlh}, perhaps.  {maq} is definitely not a
verb of saying.  And some punctuation would be appreciated!  I don't
particularly enjoy having to guess where one sentence ends and another
begins.

Once again, "it" has nothing to refer to; the most recent noun I could
find that fit the grammar was {ghaH}.

> >'ach maqwI' ghomvetlhvaD jabbI'ID vIngeHrup
>
> <maqwI' ghomvetlhvaD> DaghItlhpu', 'ach munargh qech DaHechbogh.
> "But for the proclaimer's that group I am prepared to send a transmission."
>
>maqwI' ghom = broadcast corporation (or company, or conglomerate, or simply
>group).  It is a simple noun-noun.

{maqwI' ghom} might be a simple noun-noun, but it is far from obvious
that you intended {maqwI'} = "broadcast" and {ghom} = "corporation".
Perhaps {labwI' malja'} would be a teeny bit closer to capturing the
meaning you intend, or maybe you could consider {tlhoQ} if the word
"conglomerate" appeals to you.

Putting {-vetlh} or any Type 4 noun suffix on the second noun of a
noun-noun feels very odd to me, though I suppose there's no real
reason for it not to work.

> >(gholpu') vIbejDI' tlhIngan QI' HIp vItuQ 'e' vInab
>
> mu'tlheghvam'e' vIyajlaw', 'ach gholpu' vISovbe'taH.
>
>(gholpu') is obviously the parenthetical equivalent of "Rivals" in sentence
>one.  It is the Klingon translation of the name of a play, indicated by the
>fact that {DawI'pu') are {Da}-ing it.

Without knowing that you're talking about a play, {gholpu'} is
*obviously* a simple translation of the word "rivals", and since
you said that "actors" are "acting like" it/them, the most reasonable
concept I could come up with was that "Rivals" is the name of a team
in some sport and that there were people parodying them on the radio.
But that didn't help me figure out what some of your sentences said.

Since you didn't give *any* hints that you were discussing a play, can
you blame me for not guessing that fact?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level