tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 24 22:44:09 1999

Re: v/t. --- v/i.

ghItlh Qermaq:

>Since you didn't put KLBC, and you know to do that, here I go.
Of course :-)

><legh> is clearly OK as a transitive verb. Remember, it can also be
>intransitive. Perhaps every Klingon verb can be used intransitively - and
>the "perhaps" is just there to cover the surprise discovery - but not all
>are useful transitively.
Does transitive mean it *can* take an object, or it *needs* an object?

>"Die" transitive? Not in the dialect I speak.
>One can "dye" their hair, but
What did the blond Klingon say? "It is a good day to dye!" :-)

>the word "die" is only int. as I have observed.
Interesting! What about "He died a natural death"? (That's what my dic
says.)

>But <Hegh> is a fine example of a verb in Klingon which cannot take an
>object. Add a <-moH> to it, however, and it is useful as a transitive verb.
And what would that mean? "Cause s.o. to die". Isn't that just {HoH}?

>Great questions, muHwI'.
Thanks.

Quvar muHwI'
(Lieven L. Litaer, Germany)

-=finally a happy and proud member of the KLI=-

Back to archive top level