tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 18 22:16:16 1999

Re: mu'meywIj tetlh

I agree with ghunchu'wI'.  Let me make one further suggestion.  Translate what
people are talking about. Start with something short, then email them
privately with your translation to find out if you've captured what was
meant.  I have found this to be *very* helpful.

- tuv'el, pach puqloD

Alan Anderson wrote:

> Matt Cooperrider <[email protected]> writes:
> >Hi, this is Matt again...
>
> Welcome to the mailing list, Matt.
>
> >As I said before, I am not to good at Klingon (yet).  I
> >would appreciate it if you would type In english what you type in
> >Klingon as well.
>
> This is a common request from people who are just finding out about the
> Klingon language.  As soon as you start learning the language, you will
> probably see why it's not an easy request to honor.
>
> >Just until I get the dictionary and learn a little
> >bit.  If this is a problem, Please let me know.
>
> It often *is* a problem, and I'll tell you why.  You see, what some of us
> are doing here is speaking a language called tlhIngan Hol.  It isn't a
> simple matter to type it in English after typing it in Klingon; that would
> involve translating it, not just retyping it.  Many of us compose our
> messages in Klingon, without considering an English translation at all.
> There's no "trick" involved.  It's not like pig-latin or arp-talk or
> rhyme-slang.  It's a distinct language, as different from English as are
> Spanish or Italian or Mandarin Chinese or Cherokee.  In many ways, it is
> *more* different than them, having a few grammatical wrinkles that are at
> best extremely rare in natural (Terran) languages. :)  While it's somewhat
> "alien" to a native speaker of English, it really isn't very difficult to
> learn, as languages go.  If it were a natural language, its extreme
> regularity would be remarkable.
>
> Don't let me scare you away.  We all started from the same place you are
> right now.  Learning to understand Klingon is not only possible, it's
> downright *fun*.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level