tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 13 14:53:03 1999

Re: KLBC: HovqIj jun Hov wov

ja' HomDoq:

> ja' HovqIj:
> > displays.(?) Es zeigt.(?) I can see your point, that it is just
> > unimportant in the first place _what_ is displayed. It doesn't seem to
> > be wrong, just strange. (By now everybody should have found out my real
> > name: HovHuj...)
> >
> yeah, I was all up in arms against "He gives." (Er gibt.)
> We didn't have {Dab} back then, but "He dwells." (Er wohnt.)
> is really my favorite for displaying (no pun intended) the
> strange feeling I get with these.

When would I use <Dab> without an object? If I understand this
correctly, these forms are only used to describe an action generally,
when no further information is needed. Like <jISop>: it's not
interesting what I eat, only the fact that I eat is important. I really
can't think of a situation where <Dab> could be used like this. I mean,
dwelling is not something I do at one moment, and the place where one
dwells usually does matter when people are talking about this kind of
thing. <cha'bogh nav> seems strange, but at least I can find some
legitimation for it. <Dab> without an object however doesn't make sense
to me. Maybe there are a few rare cases when it could be used, but I
can't think of one at the moment.

> > Uh-oh... something interesting is taking form in my mind:
> > ghawran cha'bogh navmey Daleghpu''a'?
> > Have you seen...
> >                ...the pictures that show Gowron?
> >              ...Gowron's pictures?
>
> I think this looks perfectly fine...

Interesting and confusing. Might be useful for poetry.

HovqIj

>                                            Marc Ruehlaender
>                                            aka HomDoq
>                                            [email protected]