tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 11 19:21:08 1999

Re: noise (n)

ghItlh Alan Anderson:

>ja' Edy:
>>    I'm leaving a msg in the telephone voice-mailing but
>>I trying to find a word for sound/noise.
>>[*noise* DaQoyDI' yIjatlh]
>
>Get more specific.  Is the sound you're talking about a "beep"?  That
>seems like {QoQ} "musical sound" could apply.

    It can work. Although all sounds in nature could be
classified as a musical sound, it's possible that Maltz
could be more specific.  :-)

>>I'm not sure if [ghum - alarm (n)] could be used
>>in this sentence.
>
>It might work, but I think there are better ways to say it.
>
>>    We have other similar words for human senses:
>>pIw - odor (n)
>>DuQ - touch (n)
>
>{DuQ} is a verb, not a noun, and it means to reach someone on an emotional
>level, the way a great work of art can bring forth strong feelings.  It's
>an idiom; the true definition is "stab".

    Ops .. jImuj.

>>    Is there a word for flavor (n)?
>
>The verbs {mum} "sense flavors" and the various qualities such as {'ey} and
>{na'} and {wIb} and {tlhorgh} are as close as we get.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

    And all of them turn around the "human" noun: flavor/paladar.

__
Eduardo Fonseca || Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Madrigal Sęculorum - http://netpage.em.com.br/fonseca
Pau Brasil - www.Geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2460
Hovmey DIvan

Back to archive top level