tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 07 12:34:26 1999

Re: RE: IDIC

Very good advice, pagh. I'll add an odd lesson on how to say
{Qapla'} well.

Try to say the composer's name the way that people do in
college: "Bach".

Now, realize that in Klingon, that would be spelled {baH}.

So, just say {baH}.

Now, say it backwards: {Hab}.

Now, change the last consonant: {Hap}

Now, start it with a really harsh "K" sound in front of the {H}:
KHap. We'll spell that {Qap}.

Now, say "uh-oh". I will now spell that as "uh'oh". Same word.
We call that stop in the middle of the word "uh'oh" a "glottal
stop".

Now, say it the same way, but only pronounce the first syllable:
uh'

Don't forget that glottal stop. It's not just "uh". It is "uh'".

Now, change the vowel: ah'

Don't forget that glottal stop at the end.

Now, add an "L" at the beginning. "lah'" Keep that glottal stop.
We will now pronounce this the same way, but spell it {la'}.

Now, go back and practice saying {Qap} again. Then practice
saying {la'} again. Then say them together, but don't slip the
{p} and {l} together. The syllables are definitely split as
{Qap-la'}. It never becomes {Qa-pla'}.

So, now keep saying {Qapla'}. Qapla'. Qapla'.

Great! Now, you only have a couple thousand more words to learn.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:45:12 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> lab [email protected]:
>
> > I require the information of what sound each letter makes.
>
> The best written description of the sounds is in The Klingon Dictionary -
> it's first chapter. If you want to *hear* the sounds, the audiotape
> Conversational Klingon is good. The KLI also has a sound page at
> /kli/sounds.html.
>
> > Is it true Qapla' is pronounced Kwaplay?
>
> No. It's pronounced <Qapla'> ;-)  Seriously, though . . .
>
> On TV, it often gets pronounced <kuh-PLAAAA>, which is not correct. Qapla'
> is two syllables: <Qap> and <la'>. The first syllable starts with a <Q>,
> which is generally very difficult for English speakers. It's basically a
> very raspy sound made in the back of the throat. See the references above
> for more information. The rest of the syllable is fairly obvious. The second
> syllable is <la'>. The final <'> means you cut off the <a> abruptly, as in
> the first syllable of "uh-oh".
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level