tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 06 14:29:42 1999

Re: Re: Noun suffixes, type 5

In a message dated 1/6/99, 4:15:32 PM, [email protected] writes:
<< For
that, it makes more sense to say that the tables matter is a
tree's matter, or to say that it is made FROM wood. You removed
material FROM the tree to make the table. Removing matter from
the tree was one of the steps in making the table.>>

I have to agree with charghwI'.

This reminds me of the old joke about asking the sculpter "how do you make a
sculpture of a horse?", answer: "I start with a block of marble, and remove
everything that doesn't look like a horse."

Or, if you like a Biblical reference, man is said to have been made "from the
dust of the Earth", and woman "from his rib".  That is to say, some of the
material was removed, then made into the man and woman.

SIHwI'

Back to archive top level