tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 04 07:03:03 1999

Re: -oy

Pardon the intrusion into what should likely be Beginners'
Grammarian stuff, but this needs to get straightened out.

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:13:19 -0800 (PST) K'ryntes
<[email protected]> wrote:

> qIt mu'tlheghwIj 'e' vIHarbe'.
>
> Thanks, I didn't think I could get away with that but I wasn't sure where I
> could use -oy.  It's not appropriate to call someone a name with -oy at the end
> unless you want to insult them is it?

The problem here is has nothing to do with insults. {vavoy}
means something like "Daddikins" or "Dear Father" or whatever.
So what would {veDoy} mean? "Dear fur""? "Furrikins". Do you
really mean to place an affectionate suffix on FUR?

It is more appropriate to use this suffix on PEOPLE or CREATURES
or perhaps even cherished weapons or ships or other personal
items, but realize that the item is being identified here as a
specific entity. Fur just doesn't seem like an appropriate item,
especially in this context.

Which brings me to the bigger problem apparently not addressed
yet. Even without {-oy}, this sentence doesn't work. {veDoy chaH
yIHmey'e'} literally means "Tribbles are fur." Not "furry". Just
"fur". See?

There is no Klingon verb that we know yet meaning "be furry".
You can't just build one by using a pronoun and {veD}.

Instead, you probably have to get more literal and change to
something like {veD lughaj Hoch yIHmey,} "All tribbles have
fur,"or {Hoch yIH Dechchu' veD,} "Fur completely surrounds each
tribble," or perhaps {yIH Soplu'pa' veD teqnISlu' Hugh qotlhmo'
veD.}

That means, "Before one eats a tribble, one must remove the fur
because fur tickles the throat." I personally like mine dunked
in scalding coffee. Slowly.

charghwI' 'utlh

> K'ryntesoy
>
> Neal Schermerhorn wrote:
>
> > ghItlh K'ryntes:
> >
> > >veDoy chaH yIHmey'e'.
> > >Tribbles are furry.
> >
> > Hmmm... pupbe'. yIqaw: "N chaH N-'e'" DajatlhtaHvIS DaDelbe'. yIHmey Del
> > DIvI' Hol mu'tlheghlIj. Delbe' mu' "chaH". "be furry" Dajatlh DaneHchugh,
> > yIH DellaHbogh mu''e' Dalo'nIS. Do'Ha' tu'be'lu'. "Tribbles are furry"
> > vImughnISchugh <veD ghaj yIHmey> vIghItlh.
> >
> > SKI: In the English above, "furry" is an adjective, not an "endearmentized"
> > noun.
> >
> > Qermaq

Back to archive top level