tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 24 18:45:39 1999

Re: Hoch

In a message dated 2/24/1999 9:11:01 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< It seems to me that you want to take {chIm}'s meaning of "empty" in
isolation from the
 other parts of the definition provided in TKD: "deserted, uninhabited."
These words are
 all there to pin down the one correct meaning, not to provide alternative
meanings.  {chIm
 HIvje'} seems odd to me, like the roaches that normally live in the glass
have left it,
 and thus the glass is deserted, or something like that.

 buy' HIvje'
 "The glass is full."

 > peHruS

 -- Holtej 'utlh >>

jIQochbe'
qaq mu' {buy'}

I thought too quickly when I posted {chIm}.  At the same time, it is a great
example of how Alan and Will and David have taken only one of the various
meanings of words while ignoring the others.  Even in their argument about
{naQ} they have concentrated on one of the meanings:  "be complete."

Thanks for your comments.

peHruS

Back to archive top level