tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 24 07:46:46 1999

RE: Hoch

> In a message dated 2/23/1999 5:56:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << < Meanwhile, I would not expect to say "The glass is full" by
>   saying {naQ HIvje'}. Instead, I would expect that to mean that
>   the glass didn't have any chips or chinks in it, so none of its
>   componants were missing. For the former meaning, I'd use {HIvje'
>   teblu'chu'pu'}. >>
>
> I'd use {chImbe' HIvje'}

It seems to me that you want to take {chIm}'s meaning of "empty" in isolation from the
other parts of the definition provided in TKD: "deserted, uninhabited."  These words are
all there to pin down the one correct meaning, not to provide alternative meanings.  {chIm
HIvje'} seems odd to me, like the roaches that normally live in the glass have left it,
and thus the glass is deserted, or something like that.

buy' HIvje'
"The glass is full."

> peHruS

-- Holtej 'utlh