tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 23:35:17 1999

Re: {nuqDaq DaDab}

In a message dated 2/23/1999 12:41:33 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< ?Shannon juH vIDab.
 	I live in Shannon's house.

 	?Shannon Sa' toQDuj vIDab.
 	I'm living on Gen. Shannon's Bird-of-Prey.

 IOW: is "Shannon" a {nuq} or a {nuqDaq}?

 Hmm... can you say {'Iv vIDab?} "Whom are you living with? Who's your
 roommate?"  Or would a Klingon understand it to mean "Within whom are you
 living?" Which is something one Klingon-speaking Trill symbiont might ask
 another. <g>

 For that matter, can you use {-Daq} on a personal name at all?  Could
 {wo'rIvDaq} be the name of a restaurant: the "Chez Worf"? <G> >>

Choose the first one:  {Shannon juH vIDab} for "I live at Shannon's house."

I automatically assumed that the poster was using Shannon as a placename.

{'Iv vIDab} would translate as "I am living at/in 'Iv."  I must assume that
'Iv is a placename.  After all, the gloss for {Dab} does not include "live
with."  To obtain "With whom are you living?", I'll go for {'Iv juH DaDab?}.

{-Daq} probably can go on prounouns grammatically, but not maybe logically.
Here is my reasoning:  {jIH 'emDaq Shannon juH vIlegh}.  Such a sentence
proves that {jIH} can be followed by a Noun2.  Further, {jIH} definitely can
take the other type 5 noun suffixes.  So, why not be able to take this type 5?
It just may not make enough sense even if grammatically correct.

To confound the matter, can nominative pronouns such as {jIH} be followed by
descriptive verbs, as can regular nouns?  Does not quite seem logical, to me.

peHruS

Back to archive top level