tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 20:38:07 1999

Re: The vaS'a' joke (was, Re: jatlh)

>  	Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq.
>  	tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom.
>  	lutlhob <<naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?>>
>  	jang 'avwI' <<lIchopbe'chugh ghewmey!>> >>
>

>Does anyone have a list of which verbs use {-Daq} and which do not, except
>redundantly?  This shows that {paw} requires a locative construction.  One
>does not {paw} an object of the sentence.
>
>peHruS

from MO interview in last HolQeD:

***
MO: ...[Duj vIpaw] means "I arrive at the ship"; [DujDaq jIpaw] means "I
arrive on the ship", that is, I arrive via the ship or something like that.
And it would probably be okay to say [DujDaq vIpaw] for "I arrive at the
ship". But [Duj jIpaw] strikes me as odd.
***

So, sure, either the -Daq should be removed and/or add lu- on [paw]

DloraH

Back to archive top level