tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 19 10:32:33 1999

Re: Hello

ghunchu'wI':
>  My concern is with {Sap} being able to take *any*
>  sort of object, {'e'} or otherwise.  "Volunteer" sounds intransitive
>  to me ...

jey'el:
: English allows "volunteer"  to be transitive with an object offered, e.g.
"He
: volunteered his services."   But even if Klingon did that (I don't know of
: another word meaning "offer"), of course, "volunteering *to* (do something)"
: is much different.

Options for conveying the transitive "volunteer (services, time, money,
etc.)" include  {nob} "give" and {much} "present" (expanded to "perform
(music) in KGT).  {chup} "recommend, suggest" might work IF transitive (it
has never occurred in canon); if intransitive, it closer in meaning to
{qeS} "advise".

: Someone might suggest {-meH Sap}, but to me that's useful only for
something
: like:
: 	{Qu' Qobqu' DelDI' la', weywIj quvmoHmeH jISap}
: 	"When the commander described a very dangerous mission, I volunteered in
: 	order to bring honor to my unit."

Good solution, but there's one small correction:

	... weywIj vIquvmoHmeH jISap
	... I volunteered in order to bring honor to my unit

Even in a {-meH} clause {wey} is the object of {quvmoH}, thus {weywIj
vIquvmoH} "I honor my unit".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons