tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 19 08:54:40 1999

Re: qama'

In a message dated 2/19/1999 9:25:36 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< What logic?  Yes, {-DIch} *is* a number suffix.  {'ar}, however, is
 not a number, so there is no logic whatsoever in putting them
 together.  It looks like you're taking the existence of the question
 word {'arlogh} as opening a door for putting number suffixes on
 everything.  One might as well take the existence of words like
 {botjan} and {Saqjan} as blanket permission to tack {jan} on any verb,
 but until there is an "official" description of something like that,
 it's just unsupported speculation.  The issue I see here is that it's
 unproven, not likely to be understood, and completely unnecessary.

Ah, but filling the holes with cement, even when we must yet invent the mortar
to hold together the bricks, is valuable.  KLI members have long held a
reputation for discussin, arguing, filling in holes in the Klingon language.

At the same time, we have a specific prohibition against putting a verb and a
noun together to make a new noun.  MO has done it a lot.  But, he claims that
the so-called verb part really is a noun that has fallen out of use or we
don't know how to use it in current Klingon.

Although MO did not make up {'arDIch}, I have contrived it to show its
possibility, nay, likelihood.  This is the type of thing that will get MO to
verify or negate.

As for {'ar}, it is an adverb, clearly and truly.  But, when joined with
{-logh} becomes a question word, even when the answer to the question fills
the position of an adverb.  {'arDIch} will be a question word, just requiring
a number in an "adjective's" position to answer it.  {nuqDaq} is a question
word that only appears to be made up of {nuq} and {Daq}.  It appears to
require a locative construction as its answer.  But, it can be answered with a
direct object, viz when the verb is{Dab} or {ghoS}, for example.  Actually,
{nuqDaq} is not a "locative question" at all.  It is merely a question word.

peHruS

Back to archive top level