tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 17 09:35:31 1999

Re: qep'a' pa' qoch vInej

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:12:32 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

> In a message dated 2/16/1999 9:00:39 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << Don't we have the phrase /cha'vatlh ben HIq/ from canon somewher >>
>
> I believe we do have such a phrase.  All numbers over ten (-maH) have spaces
> in them.  Perhaps there is no consistency.
>
> peHruS

I think there are inconsistencies and they don't bother me all
that much. I doubt that it is either RIGHT or WRONG to include
spaces or exclude them in numbers. Our writing system for
Klingon is based upon the verbal sounds of the language and
until we know exactly how Klingons write Klingon (which we
probably will never know), we will never know absolutely where
the spaces are (if the even USE spaces).

In TKD, Okrand speaks of "number forming elements". And I KNOW
that it is NOT the case that "all numbers over ten {-maH} have
spaces in them. {cha'maH} is over ten and has no spaces.

I generally tend to make numbers out of syllable pairs that
include a power of ten preceeded by the syllable telling how
many of those units are in use. It works smoothly and seems to
follow what Okrand usually does with numbers.

1,234,567

wa''uy' cha'bIp wejnetlh loSSaD vaghvatlh javmaH Soch.

Anybody have a problem with that?

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level