tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 16 01:49:13 1999

Re: qep'a' pa' qoch vInej

ghItlh peHruS:
>don't want to pick on ghunchu'wI' here.  MO is WRONG.  MO clearly lists
>{wa'Hu'} and {wa'leS} as two-syllable single words on p. 113 of TKD.  MO
>should have separated these glosses into a number and a NOUN.

perhabs these two words wa'leS and wa'Hu' developped to one word, just like
in germanic languages.
ethymology:
  "Yesterday" comes from something like "yester" and "day", which means "the
other day". In german, it is only "gestern", so without "day".
  "tomorrow" comes from to+morrow, where "morrow" means the next day. In
German - again - it's only "morgen".
  "today" is the same: to+day. In german it is "heute", which comes from no'
Hol German "hiutu", which is "hiu" + "tagu". "hiu" is "from", and "tagu".
Tag (day) comes from indogerman *dheguh*, meaning "burning", thus the day
was the "bright time". In dutch it is "vandaag" (from-day) (cf german).

Now to Kingon again:
{Hu'} is to me a noun, meaning "days ago"
{vagh leS}, "five days-ago's"
{wa'leS} was used so often in daily use, that it became one word.
Like english: there is no single word for "five days ago", but there is one
for "one day ago".

Quvar muHwI'

Back to archive top level