tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 11 19:21:40 1999

Re: KLBC: 'e' x-lu'??

jatlh SuStel:

> From: Christiane Scharf <[email protected]>
> >> In my opinion, {net} is definitely preferred, but I don't think {'e'
> X-lu'}
> >> is ever actually *wrong*.  It's probably a cultural or style thing,
> >
> >After the canon examples in TKW it can no longer be outright *wrong*, of
> >course...  ;-)
>
> Sure it can!  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  The grammar in that
> sentence is definitely wrong, but that's the correct way to say the
> sentence.  It would not be correct to say "If it isn't broken, don't fix
> it," even though the grammar has been corrected.
>
> I think it's very possible that {'e' X-lu'} is plain wrong, and still
> perfectly acceptable for the proverbs.

Yes, that's possible. We actually have proverbs where even the subject
and object positions got reversed (Sorry, I don't have my books at hand;
but you know them, anyway). However, these grammatical weirdnesses are
usually pointed out by MO. Unfortunately there is no comment about this
usage of <'e' bajnISlu'>.

HovqIj

> SuStel
> Stardate 99110.1