tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 10 14:33:19 1999

Re: KLBC: Complex sentences

In a message dated 2/10/1999 12:25:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< This is 10 days old, so it seems our BG missed it.  Allow me to get the
ball rolling. ("Fools rush in ..." I guess.)

 : How should I say things like:
 : 	"I see you run."
 : 	"I want to eat."
 : 	"I think you are stupid."
 : 	"She says that she thinks she could do it."

<snip>

 You almost figured it out for yourself.  Yes, there is a formula: the
sentence-as-object (SAO).  Cf. TKD p.65f for an explanation of how this works.

 <snip>

 	jIqet 'e' Dalegh.
 	You see me run. You see that I run.

 There are, of course, a couple of wrinkles to this which are explained in
TKD.  Try doing the others yourself.  Hint: {jatlh} "say" is what is known as
a "verb of saying", one of those wrinkles I mentioned. >>

I wish to add that I am surprised that we have yet to see anyone talk about
the verb suffix type 6 -law' used as "I think that; I suspect that."  (TKD p
40, 4.2.6)

bIQIplaw' for one sentence above, but chav ghaH 'e' Qub ghaH for another.

peHruS

Back to archive top level