tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 08 15:24:56 1999

Re: Hoch

When {Hoch} (and, presumably, {HochHom}, though Okrand has never actually
SAID it) comes before a noun, it can mean either "each <noun>, taken
individually," or "all <noun>s."  When the noun has a plural marker on it,
the phrase means "all <noun>s."  When there is no plural marker, it means
"each <noun>, taken individually."  (When using {HochHom} instead of {Hoch},
substitute "most" for "all.")

We haven't actually been told outright what {Hoch} or {HochHom} mean when
they follow the noun, but we've seen it used on a SkyBox card with {tera'
vatlh DIS cha'maH wejDIch HochHom} "most of the 23rd Century."  (Something
like that.)

Thus,

HochHom lengwI'pu' HoH romuluSngan.
The Romulan killed most of the travelers.

Hoch Dujmeyvetlh DaSam'a'?
Do you look for all of those ships?

SuStel
Stardate 99104.4