tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 08 15:24:48 1999

Re: Dreaming in Klingon

I don't think Klingons would use the suffix difference to make the
difference between a dead person and a living one.

In K'ryntes' example, I'd call it as {HoDwI' porgh}.  The body is the thing
not capable of using language (you know what I mean!), not the captain.

In Lawrence's example, I think Klingons would only do this if they were
trying to be clever (not a prized trait among Klingons).  It's saying "I'm
not actually going to tell you the information I mean, but I'm going to tell
you enough to figure it out if you put your mind to it."

I still don't think using the two sets of suffixes flip-flops depending on
the current state of affairs.  I think a noun typically gets one or the
other.  A {HoD} is a thing which is capable of using language.  A captain
just isn't a captain if he cannot speak.  (And a sandwich just isn't a
sandwich . . . .)  And if he isn't a captain, then using the noun {HoD} is
just plain incorrect.

SuStel
Stardate 99104.4