tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 08 15:00:54 1999

RE: Klingon pleasantries

jatlh T'Lod:

> Could you explain "replacement proverbs" and the whole of
> Klingon proverbs to me?  I'm a little lost on this point.
> qajuSpu'

A replacement proverb is something you say after a social gaffe, such as
spilling good food that could be eaten (or thrown). The purpose of the
phrase is to "replace" lost honor and restore yourself to respectability.
The most important part of a replacement proverb is not meaning of the
specific phrase; it is the way it is delivered. Speak boldly. If you are
successful, your error will be forgotten. If not . . .

Here is a (partial) list:

Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'
Only fools laugh while warriors die

reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
The fire is always hotter on someone else's face

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
Set fire on the side when there is danger

reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'
A great warrior is always prepared [to fight]

jagh DajeymeH, nIteb yISuvrup
To defeat the enemy, be prepared to fight alone

HIvqa' veqlargh
The Fekh'lr strikes again

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian