tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 08 14:43:29 1999

Re: tagh, v.

muHwI' asks:

: I have had this question for a long time: Does {tagh} mean to begin, start
: doing something, or only for rituals?  Is it used tr. or intr.?
: Is it
: 	{DaH ruStay vItagh}
: or
: 	{DaH tagh ruStayvam}?

Apparently both.  {tagh} can be used either transitively:

	Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw
	When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota. TKW

or intransitively:

	taghbej mu'qaD veS
	Curse-warfare has definitely begun. PK

As these are its only two occurrences in canon, we can't tell if one usage is more common than the other - assuming of course that the corpus is even a representative sample of "real" Klingon.  FWIW I think most people on this list use it transitively, based on the the English gloss in TKD "begin a process, initiate".

Canon, however, can surprise you.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons