tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 04 10:40:48 1999

Re: Secret service

:     A friend of mine is writting a Star Trek novel and
: she asked me about the Klingon Secret Service which envolve
: Spionage, Inteligence, etc. I have some ideas in mind:
:
: De' tum (Information Agency)
: pegh tum (Secret Agency)

This is either a sentence ("The Agency is secret.") or the possesive noun phrase "the secret's agency".  You want {tum pegh} "secret agency"; "secret" is an English adjective here.

: pegh/De' 'obe' (Secret/Information group)

I really like {'obe'} "order, group officially recognized by government" (KGT) for this: {'obe' pegh} "the Secret Order".  This may sound too much like the Cardassian Obsidian Order - {nagh qIj 'obe'}? - for your friend though.  The only {'obe'} we've heard of so far is the military {betleH 'obe'} "Order of the Bat'leth".

While playing with names, also consider the words {Hung} "security} and {Hub} "defense".  For example, {wo' Hung 'obe'} "Imperial Security Order" or just {Hung 'obe'}, {Hung tum}, etc.  We know from one DS9 episode that Starfleet (and Constable Odo) called this agency simply "Klingon Intelligence"; Worf wasn't there yet to enlighten them as to the Klingon name.  {Sov} "knowledge" sometimes works for "intelligence" - at least in other contexts - but frankly I'd avoid this anglicism here.

: Edy

Voragh

Back to archive top level