tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 29 22:17:24 1999

{law'} = "much"? [on a new topic now]

ja' charghwI':
>This crashes into the unresolved conflict we have over whether
>{law'} can mean "much" as well as "many", as in {nIn law'
>vIDIl}. Does this mean "I pay for much fuel," or does it have to
>mean, "I pay for many fuels,"?

I'm certain it can be *translated* as "much" without difficulty.  Whether
or not it *means* that is probably not relevant.  There are odd questions
to deal with whenever we consider "mass" nouns in Klingon.  There might
not be any semantic distinction between "much fuel" and "many fuels" or
between "much money" and "many monies".  We've seen {'ul law'} in canon,
with the only reasonably direct translation being "much electricity".  I
don't really need to know whether "many electricities" is more literally
correct.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level