tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 29 16:28:31 1999

RE: KLBC: jIbuSHa'lu'taH'a'?

jatlh tuv'el:

> > > cha': pImqu'mo' SoH nIbuSHa'taH.

vIjangmeH jIjatlh:

> > pIm nuq? mubuSHa' nuq? jIyajbe'. yIQIj.
> > "What's different?  Who is ignoring me?
> > I don't understand. Explain."
>
> What I meant was: "Because you are so different, we are ignoring
> you." <<bIpImqu'mo' SoH'e' nIbuSHa'taH.>>?

maj. It was just a little missing prefix. I assumed the <SoH> was the object
of <nIbuSHa'taH>, which it was, but missed the fact that it was also the
subject of <pIm> because of the dropped prefix.

> > > wa': vIchoptaHDI' poSchoHba' QImmey.
> >
> > I don't think <-taH> goes very well here. For one thing,
> > <-DI'> is defined as "as soon as, when", and <-taH> means
> > that the action of the verb is continuous or ongoing.
> > I don't think these two concepts get along very well
> > - the "as soon as" seems like it requires a one time event
> > or a change in state. You might be able to use
> > <chopchoHtaHDI'>, but I think <-DI'> and <-taH> together
> > without <-choH> or <-qa'> is at least strange and probably
> > completely illogical.
>
> 	I was trying to say "gnaw" <choptaH>.

When you see a suffixed verb in the dictionary for a simple English word,
you need to be a little careful. You can use it for the English word in most
cases, but you have to be aware of what the suffixes do.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ