tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 28 11:27:16 1999

Re: jatlh chargwI'...

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 13:23:54 +0000 (GMT) Mark A Miles
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh chargwI':
>
> >   > jenwI' mupongnISqu' tlhInganpu'
> >
> >   "Klingons MUST call me {jenwI'}." I accept this, using the
>
> hmmm... I was trying for "Klingons should call me <jenwI'>"

{nISqu'} indicates that you are accentuating necessity here. It
sounds like you want the opposite of that. It is not necessary,
but usually they would call you that. {roD} would be useful
here. It means "usually".

> >   > DaH "Edinburgh" yoSvo' Sum juHwIj.
> >
> >   "Now, my home is near Edinburgh."
> >
> Well it's not necessarily "near"... I was trying for My home is near
> Edinburgh region (I was reading KGT, pp. 16-17) at this point.

In this usage, "region" is the place being named. It is like a
city or county or state with a name. I do not believe that it
has the looser definition of "vague area in the vacinity of"
that you now seem to be seeking.

> >   Okrand tells us this should be {yoSDaq} and not {yoSvo'}. You
> -Daq really confuses me... Is it/can it used in *all* circumstances?
>
> >   > DaH DuSaQ'a'Daq jIHaD.
> >
> >   Now, I study at a major school.
> I was trying for "University"... Any ideas?

It works. A university is a significant school. It is a high
level of that kind of institution. Meanwhile, simply realize
that {DuSaQ'a'} might be used for other high levels of education
as well. It has not been pinned down to exclusively mean
"University".

> >   *Tibet* vItlhabmoH 'e' vInID.
> I get what you're saying about the type 7 suffix... Is it a good rule of
> thumb that if I'm trying to say "I x (to) y" then I use <*y* 'e' *x*>?

I believe you are correct, though I don't really like this kind
of phrasing. The Sentence As Object construction is a lot more
versatile than you are painting it to be and this kind of global
searh-and-replace approach to grammar rarely works without a lot
of mistakes. Sentence-As-Object does something in Klingon. The
result is translated in different ways in English, depending
upon whether both verbs use the same subject or different
subjects, and some verbs will be translated with different
helper words in English. There is no dependable rule of thumb.
You need to just begin to recognize thoughts that can be
expressed by Sentence As Object and go from there.

> >   > DaHjaj "Day of Honour" paq vIje'pu'.
>
> >   and also times when you had not purchased it yet. The main point
> >   here is that if you include {-pu'}, some people will cheer you
>
> I actually think I was wrong to put on <'pu>... To my mind now it infers
> that I have *completed* buying it (as if it was on hire-purchase!).
> <snigger>

Here, I think we call that "rent-to-own". We don't even have
dependable rules of thumb across English dialects.

> jenwI'
> *mutta'* tuq
> [email protected]
> http://www.nine9.ukshells.co.uk