tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 23 21:09:22 1999

Re: Translating the word "Klingon" into other languages?

ja' "Michael Kaplan" <[email protected]>:
>In English its "Klingon" and then in the warrior's tongue its "tlhIngan-Hol".

Actually, it's just {tlhIngan Hol}.  The hyphen is only there because the
name of the mailing list cannot have a space in it.

>Do any of the (non-English) folks on this list have any conventions for
>whether or not to translate
>it to other languages? I am tempted to keep it tlhIngan-Hol in all langs,
>truth be told.

I usually make an effort to keep the word "language" prominent whenever I
talk about the Klingon language.  I don't get much opportunity to talk in
other than English, however.

Since Star Trek has been translated into so many other languages, I think
there are already words for "Klingon" that are at least slightly official.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level