tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 20 09:31:11 1999

KLBC, Comparatives & Superlatives

   I'm Nicolau, but you can name me {ghaHbe'wI'}, and this is my first mail to you, so I would be pleased if you correct me any mistake I do in Klingon or English (I'm Catalan, so it's not my native language).
   On page 70 and 71 of TKD are explained the comparatives and superlatives in {tlhIngan Hol}, but I think it's a very restricted way to do them, and every language has different ways to express anything, and its speakers chooses them depending on the context or their point of emphasis.
   So I've reconstructed all the Comparatives and Superlatives ways, I've used the same sentence to make easier to see the differencies:

Comparatives:
   1) betleHwIj jej law', betleHraj jej puS.
      My sword is sharper than yours.
        This is the standard one.

   2) betleHwIj jej lawbe', betleHjaj jej puS.
      My sword isn't sharper than yours.
        I suppose the negative {-be'} must go added to main verb {law'}

   3) betleHwIj jej puS, betleHraj jej law'.
      My sword is less sharper than yours.
        If 1) is "more than", this is "less than"

   4) betleHwIj jej puSbe', betleHraj jej law'.
      My sword isn't less sharper than yours.
        Same as 2)

Superlatives:
   5) betleHwIj jej law', Hoch jej puS.
      My sword is sharpest of all
        The standard.

   6) betleHwIj jej lawbe', Hoch jej puS.
      My sword isn't sharpest of all.
        Same as 2) and 4)

   7) betleHwIj jej puS, Hoch jej law'.
      My sword is the less sharpest of all.

   8) betleHwIj jej puSbe', Hoch jej law'.
      My sword isn't the less sharpest of all.
        I must say that at sentences 7) and 8) I was on doubt to write {pagh} instead of {Hoch}, perhaps influence of Catalan...

   Of course, this is just an hypothesis of mine, perhaps another ways has been explained elsewhere, but I just have TKD & TKW and I don't know them.
   Also, you can think they are very repetitive, but when there are different choices one can choose whatever one wants.

   Waiting for your responses, good bye.

Enviado desde http://www.LatinMail.com. Tu correo latino.

Back to archive top level