tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 17 13:23:36 1999

RE: KLBC: jIbuSHa'lu'taH'a'?

jatlh tuv'el:

> wa': jIbuSHa'lu'taH'a'?

When using <-lu'>, the unspecified subject is assumed to be third person
singular (he/she/it). With a first person singular object (me), the prefix
we would normally choose would be <mu->, but the prefix reversal rule for
<-lu'> turns it into <vI->.

> cha': pImqu'mo' SoH nIbuSHa'taH.

pIm nuq? mubuSHa' nuq? jIyajbe'. yIQIj.

> wa': vIHarlaHbe'.  rapbej Hoch maH!
>
> cha': Qo'.

Interesting. <Qo'> means "No, I won't, I refuse", while <ghobe'> means "no"
as the answer to a yes/no question. Which is used to contradict a statement?
I suspect you are correct and that it is <Qo'>, but it is something to think
about.

> SoQbogh QImmey boSop 'e' vIleghpu' jIH.

No aspect suffixes after <'e'>. Put the <-pu'> on the <Sop> if you want to
put it anywhere. Another question is whether eggs can be "open" or "closed".
Based on the idiom <pel'aQ ghorpa'> and a general feeling, I'm guessing eggs
are probably "whole" or not whole rather than open or closed.

> wa': vIchoptaHDI' poSchoHba' QImmey.

I don't think <-taH> goes very well here. For one thing, <-DI'> is defined
as "as soon as, when", and <-taH> means that the action of the verb is
continuous or ongoing. I don't think these two concepts get along very well
- the "as soon as" seems like it requires a one time event or a change in
state. You might be able to use <chopchoHtaHDI'>, but I think <-DI'> and
<-taH> together without <-choH> or <-qa'> is at least strange and probably
completely illogical.

> cha': bIDoghchu'mo' DaH qaHoHnIS.

tlhInganna' ghaHlaw' cha'.

pagh